Drivers who have been convicted on a DUI (driving under influence) will usually have to carry SR22 insurance. How long they have to carry this insurance depends on their conviction, but is usually at least three years. It is not actually insurance, but rather a piece of paper that proves to the DMV that you are fully insured to drive a vehicle again after your license has been reinstated.
Not every insurance company is allowed to offer SR22 insurance. Those that have been allowed by the state tend to be highly reputable insurance companies that have proven their worth to the state. The DMV, in other words, know that the company will immediately notify them if the insurance of someone who should hold SR22 lapses, so that their license can immediately be revoked.
Expenses Associated with SR22 Insurance
SR22 insurance itself is not expensive. In many cases, it costs just around $20 to file it through an insurance company. But this doesn’t mean you won’t be hit with many other expenses simply because you need the SR22 to be filed. The associated costs you can expect include:
- Increased insurance premiums compared to someone who does not need SR22 insurance.
- Separate fees to actually file the SR22. This is generally not expensive and some insurance companies simply add it to the premium itself.
- Being fined or otherwise penalized if you ever go without insurance during your SR22 period, even if it is just for a single day. In fact, if you were to be pulled over as a driver and you do not have your SR22 form anymore, then you could be arrested and sent to prison.
Naturally, none of this sounds like a lot of fun. However, you will be happy to know that there are options out there for you if you do need SR22 insurance. It is about knowing where to look. There are many discounts and bargains out there, particularly if you have an inexpensive class of vehicle. It is about knowing where to look.
How to Find the Best SR22 Insurance
There are a number of things that you should be aware of if you are looking for affordable SR22 insurance:
- What is the size of the insurance company? They may be a mom and pop, tiny company that only deals with those who need SR22 insurance. Alternatively, they may be a huge insurance company. The larger companies tend to be the cheaper ones, because they can offset the risk of insuring an SR22 driver against their many good drivers.
- Make sure you look online. The internet is full of excellent deals and if you ever want to find the cheapest price for anything that would be the place to look. It is also very convenient, since you don’t have to speak to lots of different people.
Most importantly, remember that you follow the rules so that your SR22 is always covered and you don’t find yourself in more trouble.